I had a total 'blonde moment' in Venice.


I kept seeing all these beautiful blinds everywhere on all the windows of the canal-side villas.

I snapped photo after photo of these lovelies and then caught myself as I wondered out loud to my husband,


"I'm crazy about all these blinds that I'm seeing everywhere. I guess they really like Venetian blinds here...in...VENICE!! Venetian Blinds! Venice! Oh man, I'm stupid."


Embarrassing story aside, I really do love these blinds and all the different ways they can be trimmed out.

I've had these fabric blinds from Target up in my house for almost two years now. Shades are a great alternative to curtains, especially in small homes like mine, where floor space and furniture arrangement is limited. In the past, I've added various trims to the shades with my trusty hot glue gun, but nothing has looked like I wanted it to. I came home from Europe, determined to turn my blinds into something that would make the Venetians proud.

With a little white grosgrain and some hot glue, it's easy to turn stock fabric blinds into something special. I like the way the white is very subtle against the ivory shade. I didn't want anything too showy and I think this color combo does the trick.


And as a great bonus, every time the late afternoon sunshine sifts through my pretty blinds I can hear the gondoliers singing and can smell the fruta del mar.

 
Top