After painting the walls and updating the office furniture, the dining section of this room could use some help. The settee fabric has got to go.

Thanksgiving, 2008
In November, I bought a few yards of a Paul Kaufmann floral upholstery fabric (see above) at a fabric store closing liquidation. I used it to reupholster a settee I bought for cheap on Craig's List. I didn't pay much at all for the yardage (I think around $10 total), so I'm not feeling guilty now that I hate it.


Even though I'm not happy with the way the fabric looks in my dining room, we've still been using the settee at the table for a few months and we really like that arrangement. My kids love (LOVE) sitting there for meals and crafting. Which is fun, but also is sort of bad news for the very light colored fabric.

Now that the holidays are behind us and I have more time, I am ready to reupholster the settee again in something else. I have three requirements:

1. Must be a fun print.
2. Must be indoor/outdoor fabric to hold up to the kids.
3. Must coordinate with my beloved Chiang Mai Dragon upholstered chair. (I even think I'll have enough Chiang Mai fabric left over to make a long lumbar pillow for the settee)

After an extensive search of outdoor fabrics (there aren't many), I've narrowed my decision down to three:

1. Duralee's Pavillion in Basil (this is a nice, big print - the repeat is almost 14")

2. Waverly's Lovely Lattice in Lagoon (sort of a Kelly Wearstler vibe, right?

3. Robert Allen's Isle Damask in Dune (prob. my least favorite)

What's your vote? I've ordered samples of all three so that I can really see how they look next to the Schumacher Dragon fabric.


Also in the dining room is this pale blue china hutch (pictured below, behind the chairs), where I store some white china (in the shelves) and my glassware (on top). I keep my craft supplies organized in the drawers.

I am fine with the hutch as it is (plus, it's not in the budget to buy something different right now), but I still would like to do a little cosmetic update. For the six large main drawers, I like these antique brass bin pulls.


And for the two small drawers at the top, I'm liking the idea of brass ring pulls. I like that these are so thick and solid. Maybe I could oxidize these on my own to give them a dark finish to match the bin pulls??


I have some ideas for art and window treatment updates that I'll post on soon. In the meantime (and once I get the swatches of all my outdoor fabrics and of the Chiang Mai Dragon), I can make a final decision on the paint color and get out my roller and brush.

I hope you have a fantastic weekend!!
 
Top