I have been trying to find the right living room rug for ages. I needed something really huge (I was hoping for about 12x14), which is almost impossible to find in stores or online. And antique rugs get astronomically expensive when they are that big. I've purchased carpet remnants for odd-sized rooms in the past and thought I would just do that again and maybe save up for an antique rug down the road.

I'm not going to go into detail here, but I had two very negative customer service experiences with two different Home Depot carpet departments here in the NYC area that really put me off. I was all ready to order a rug in this great diamond pattern, but it didn't happen either time because of incompetent/rude employees. And I'm pretty laid back, so you know it must have been bad if it upset me!


The carpet is by Stainmaster and is a great deal at about $2.50 per square foot and then $2 per linear foot for the binding. You guys all know that I love Home Depot - I am a loyal customer there usually, so I don't mind sharing these photos in case you're also looking for a large area rug or wall to wall. Hopefully you have a better ordering experience than I did.


Before I tried for a THIRD time to order the diamond carpet from Home Depot, I decided to stop into the clearance section in the basement at ABC Carpet and Home (a big thanks to Abbey for the tip!). They are having a 50% off sale right now on unfinished remnants.


I ended up getting this 12x15 gold and cream striped Karastan remnant (in the middle) for just a couple hundred dollars -- about what the Home Depot rug would have cost.


It's getting delivered this morning and I can't wait to roll it out in my living room! Rugs are probably my least favorite thing to shop for (they're SO expensive!!), but they really make a big difference in the feel of a space.


A HUGE thanks to ABC for their incredible customer service. Special shout out to Rick, who has worked there for 28 years! If you're in the New York area, I highly recommend stopping by to check out the huge clearance basement. Grab a Madeline Weinrib rug or pillow for half off while you're there.


PS Someone should buy this beauty. I think it was 8x10 (too small for my LR), and I was still sooo tempted.

 
Top