We all know how much I love the diamond jute rugs that are everywhere these days. I like that they have the textural, organic element that all natural fiber rugs have. But I love that there is a subtle pattern happening too.

image via House Beautiful

image via Ashley Whittaker

image via Thibaut

A few weeks ago, I bought a beautiful 9x12 jute rug (originally purchased from naturalarearugs.com) off Craigslist for a really, really great price. It was nice and soft and the perfect size. The only hitch was that it had the tiniest little stain that looked like it would come out so easily.

Here's what happened after (literally) no more than three squirts of my pride and joy of upholstery and carpet cleaner: Woolite Oxy Clean spray. I've used this product (successfully) countless times. (It seriously deserves it's own post!) I have never had any problems with discoloration or bleaching out - AT ALL. Look what happened...






So sad, right? Totally ruined less than an hour after buying it. I feel like an idiot, because after digging a little online, it appears that it's never a good idea to use cleaners or solvents on jute rugs. But I'm ticked that the rug is so sensitive! I barely used any Woolite and I went over the sprayed spot with a wet rag right after spraying, just in case.

Have any of you readers out there had similar problems with jute? I love the look of natural fiber rugs, but I need something more durable to stand up against my kids.

I saw this indoor/outdoor version at Pottery Barn last week. It was also soft, but the description says it can be sprayed down with a hose! Now that's what I'm talking about!

 
Top