Amy wrote in with a request for some front porch/stoop advice:

I have a smallish front porch area and I am having the darndest time trying to find some ideas to decorate in a way that is both comfortable and classy. Truth be told its only about 4x8ish feet -so more of a stoop than a porch. I am trying to find some ideas that allow me to keep a little chair out there and maybe a little table so I can read my paper and drink my coffee and chat with the neighbors. I have been scouring kijiji for "something" to put there but nothing is jumping at me. I'm afraid of cluttering up the place...



Amy has such a cute little house in Canada. I think just a few small additions and changes would really step up her curb appeal.

Though I don't know much about landscape design, I think a row of boxwoods in front of the long window would look very nice.


I would also plant a climbing vine on the front right corner of the house to fill out and soften the sea of brick. I'm probably biased, living in Cambridge, but I love me some climbing ivy. It's pretty in the spring, summer and fall.

image courtesy of ATL Homes via Blueprint Bliss
Two tall evergreen topiaries in modern urns/bases would fit perfectly in the little nooks that the columns make on the perimeter of the porch.


I think a little greenery and symmetry here would look amazing.


I would go for some planters like the Mynta from IKEA. They are narrow and tall, so they'll fill up that space perfectly. The white is safe and a good choice. But maybe go with the citrine color? It might be a fun play off the more serious green in your trim.
I would paint your front door black for some contrast and depth.

How about a new mailbox? Something modern with clean lines, to combat all the trad design you have here. What about this one?A new lantern would be cool. What about something industrial/nautical like this one from Lowes?
Maybe some new house numbers?

You'll need a good all-weather rug to put down. Since this will stay out all year most likely, I would go with something more neutral, like this PB rug in the 3x5 size.


I would paint your current chair if you're trying to watch the budget. Maybe a very, very pale sky blue?

If you're ready for a new chair there go with vintage or vintage inspired. I think these from eBay are great ($99 including shipping), but you could probably find something less expensive on Craig's list or kijiji. I would do the white, but if you do chose a color here, stay away from the red with your forest green trim!


I'm really impressed with the selection at this site if you're ready to purchase some extra fabulous patio furniture.

Don't forget a fun outdoor pillow. I like these small bolsters ($12.99 ea).
Look for a small round side table to use as a drink holder. Something like this one would work well. Search for table in more of the plant stand size range than side table size.

Maybe you could get a small bench to prop up your feet on? Make sure to put a coat of sealant on the legs (after painting them - pale blue again?) to protect the wood.


I would use a fun indoor/outdoor fabric for the upholstery here. Better yet, use a laminated fabric or oilcloth making the bench completely waterproof. Check out some of these amazing waterproof fabric patterns that one of my readers directed me to this week.

This B&W oilcloth would be so chic on your footstool!


That's it for me. I think simple and classic is the way to go here for such a small space. What suggestions do you guys have for Amy?
 
Top