To me, the perfectly decorated room is mostly traditional, but has a few very well-chosen modern elements thrown in for balance. As far as modern furniture goes, I think you can't go wrong with a Saarinen table and the C&B Petrie Sofa. Both are clean and white and look great mixed in with more traditional furnishings. I'm always on the look-out for these.

If I needed a sofa, you can BET I'd snag this almost-new Petrie off Boston's Craigslist for $450. (This sofa is $1500 normally). You'll need to sink $100 into a professionally upholstery cleaning, but you're still $1000 in the black.


I think the Petrie is a pretty dang good-looking couch...

I thought it was the best part of the movie "The Break Up"


Design by Summer Thornton

via Flickr
And who doesn't love a good Saarinen table? If you only need a small plain white (non-marble) top, I've used the IKEA Dockstas before and think they are great for their price. BUT! If you're like me, and really, really want the oval-shaped marble top, and you live anywhere near New Jersey (you can pick it up for free), this eBay auction is an absolute steal. The same looking table retails for $6800 at DWR.
I think Saarinens are completely classic and will forever be in style. Check out these marble beauties...

via Domino


Tom Scheerer (a huge fan of the Saarinen) via Pure Style Home
Photo by Grey Crawford via Katiedid
Design by Tom Scheerer


Other "modern" favorites of mine - the Parsons table and the sputnik chandelier. What's your favorite way to add a splash of modern to a room?
 
Top