Remember this Domino spread of Barrie Benson's dining room? I spy my beloved Chiang Mai fabric on the chairs...

image courtesy of Domino via Pink Wallpaper
It says in the caption that Benson vinyl-coated the Dragon fabric, which I had previously imagined meant that she just had a layer of vinyl fabric laying on top of the Schumacher. But, I bet that she actually sent the yardage off to be laminated before upholstering the chairs. Wouldn't it be amazing to get to use (and let our kids sit on) our favorite designer fabrics on dining furniture?

I bought two cheap but cute Louis-esque kiddie-sized chairs a few months ago at Home Goods. My plan is to paint and reupholster them when we move. These will go at our kiddie table with two more mini-sized chairs (maybe the Stark Lou Lou ghost chairs?) in a nook of our new living room that's near the kitchen. We'll use it for crafts and snack-times, so I need these chairs to be water and stain proof.



Originally I was thinking faux ostrich (for the cleanability factor). I still like that idea, but I think a print here would be fun. I'm thinking about buying some already laminated fabric (this one's girly and cute, and Free Spirit has an adorable line here). I'm sure it costs an arm and a leg, but maybe I could get my own fabric vinyl-coated?




images via Free Spirit
Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Any sense of cost per yard to get fabric laminated?
 
Top